Altos Las Hormigas Malbec Mendoza 2007 (Argentina)
Average Price: $11
Tastes: Black raspberry, black pepper, black currant, licorice, and even a bit of leather—with nice soft tannins
--------------------------
My (second) malbec. Much anticipated after I'd read so much about the more-and-more popular malbec grapes from Chile and Argentina. I actually tried a different Malbec ($23) that was smooth, sweet, and round. Super pleasant, but I can't remember the label.Average Price: $11
Tastes: Black raspberry, black pepper, black currant, licorice, and even a bit of leather—with nice soft tannins
Altos Las Hormigas Malbec has been touted by Epicurious, WSJ, Wine Spectator as great value ($10?). It is the beautiful dark purple that is common with malbecs. The fragrance is mild, the taste is definitely spicier than I anticipated, especially compared to the last malbec i had. Definitely dark fruits, I taste black raspberry... reminds me a little of a lighter Merlot?
I'll give it 6 out of 10.
No comments:
Post a Comment